Writing Killer Cover Letters
Writing cover letters can be tricky considering that it’s more of an art than a science. Nevertheless, there are still a few pointers that we can follow to allow us to put the best foot forward and make a good first impression. Here they are:
- Use two or three sentences for each paragraph.
- Separate out the paragraphs and make them easy to read.
- Ensure that the letter is specific to the company and the position.
Also, make sure that you:
- Have an intro and describe where you saw the advertisement.
- Mention that you are excited/interested about the role and why.
- State how you are suitable for it (qualifications, experience, skills etc).
- Say why you think/know the company is somewhere you’d like to work.
- Mention anything special or unique that you can offer in this position.
- Thank them for reading and say that you’re looking forward to speaking to them about it further.
Finally, here is an example of a cover letter. I'll leave it up to you to fill in the details that are relevant to you and the position that you're applying for.
I would like to apply for the position of NAME OF POSITION for NAME OF COMPANY.
I recently came across these positions advertised on WEBSITE and thought that I would be a very suitable candidate for this role. Currently, I work ....
I feel like I would be an excellent candidate for this position because of…
When researching your company, I noticed/liked/agreed with ...
Furthermore, my knowledge of SOMETHING SPECIAL would allow me to bring something extra to this position.
Finally, I think that a combination of the my experience, skills, work ethic and interest in this position makes me a very strong candidate for this role.
Thank you for taking the time to review my application and I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further.
I hope you found this post useful and please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks, Ronan.